Tuesday, June 7, 2005

Who Says We Are Ordinary? Not Me!


Today a legendary actress Anne Bancroft passed away at age 73 yrs. She was quoted as saying...

She added: ''Film critics said I gave a voice to the fear we all have: that we'll reach a certain point in our lives, look around and realize that all the things we said we'd do and become will never come to be - and that we're ordinary.''

Now this is quite an interesting quote to think about!! :-)

Remember how you thought so big in college & when you graduated? Do you still feel that way? WHY NOT?!!! :-) Are some dreams meant to remain dreams throughout one's life? I mean if you realized all your dreams I suppose you could come up with more dreams but would it really kill you to have not achieved everything? Are some of those dreams you had in college not very realistic either or perhaps you realized they are just not things you really want in your life right now? How many dreams or things is each person suppose to do in their life?

And what does "ordinary" mean? Interesting definitions:

1. Of no exceptional ability, degree, or quality; average. 
2. Inferior quality; second-rate.

How can "ordinary" something that is common place be inferior? Are we saying most people or on the average is inferior? I'm sorry but I do  not agree with that definition. Now if we take the 1st definition, then perhaps we all dream in college we are going to have a HUGE impact on the world. The Bill Gates, Oprah kind...not to mention the people who come up with cures for diseases etc. The question is, does it take those "exceptional" acheivements to have lived a worthwhile life? To live a life that has a purpose, made a difference in the grand scheme of things? I don't believe so! It is just like my favorite movie "It's A Wonderful Life"... at times we all feel like "George Bailey" and feel we did not make much of a difference & it wouldn't have mattered if we were even born. We all make ripples in the Big Picture! Is it better to be Bill Gates or all the people who influenced Bill Gates as he grew up? I say they are just as important if not more! I think the moment we do not believe we have made just as an important impact on the world as someone like Bill Gates is when we are in trouble! :-)

And anyone who wants to tell us we did not make as important an impact or they use the word "ordinary" or dare them say "inferior" they are the one's who really need to spend some time "thinking!" Now, I'm not saying having an attitude that you are more important than anyone else in the world, please do not get me wrong, but there are equally people in the world who want to make you think like you are not as important on this planet as "certain people". This is when I love to just seem them put in their place...I know that is not great on my part. I feel sad for them too but just like the person who races past you driving & then gets the light & you come up right next to them & look & smile & say "what was the rush?" Hmm... Hurry to get what? People just put others down to raise themselves without any authentic reasons. We have way too many problems with people putting themselves down when they shouldn't, we don't need people helping them. I wonder if these people who think it is ok to feel more important than others & put others down or "break them" have experienced it themselves? And where does this start? These are just the bullies of childhood continuing in adulthood I think?

So then what is ordinary? Nothing I believe! How can each person's unique spirit contributing to the planet be like others to be ordinary? Now perhaps there are things we don't really need on this planet & some items which help us in some ways but end up hurting in other ways but who knows the name of the person who developed the first flip flops? The person who decided to domesticate cats? (I know animal rights people who not like this one but who I am is even shaped by "my babies!"), the person who developed those clear casings at the end of shoe strings (someone remember the name?), the person who scented massage oil! :-) You see you don't know their names, they have contributed lovely things we may even take for granted but I sure love their contributions to the world!

So what do you think?

No comments: