Monday, June 13, 2005

Graduation Speech - Cheryl Richardson



I received an email with Cheryl Richardson's graduation speech she did recently and wanted to share it all with you. It is quite interesting to review & see if you agree & practice what she is stating. Scroll down to the "Topic of the Week" to read the speech.

I love her idea that we have multiple gifts and talents and that there are no perfect choices. Well in some ways I think whatever choice you make is perfect for you at that given time. Then if you change the new one is perfect for you. You do gain wisdom from each choice if you allow yourself to, whether it is career, significant other etc.

I also love the idea of not worrying about what others think of you. That is a hard one for many people I think, especially when it comes to the people you love. If it is a stranger we don't care as much what they think.  I'm sure the parents listening to "make your own rules...in the end the only one you have to answer to is yourself" went over real well! Ha! But really it is true!

Now finding many positive people to be around can be difficult. So many are so negative, they give up in their lives & "stay within the lines". It is hard being a maverick when so many want to be a maverick & since they believe they can't be they do not want you to be!

I think she brings up a good point about drugs - "making it easier to live a mediocre life!"

Her last part about your life being a canvas & you the artist reminds me of "Pleasantville" and how the powerful few in town wanted to tell everyone how they can color their canvas & with what colors! I love the scene when the two of them wake up to the town outraged looking at the mural. I just feel that in my spirit! :-)

Read the speech for much more!

No comments: