Saturday, August 13, 2005

Wknd Asgn #72: The Ultimate Battle

My response to John's Weekend Assignment #72: The Ultimate Battle

Normally with the Weekend Assignment, I try to make assignments that bring us together -- assignments we can all share in with love and comity. But today, I want to use the Weekend Assignment as a platform to discuss one of the great divides in American culture -- a divide so wide that it tears at our national fabric and threatens to pit brother against sister, parents against children, husbands against wives. I am talking, of course, about the debate about which is better: cake or pie.



Weekend Assignment #72: Which is better -- cake or pie? Explain your reasoning. Will you choose the moist sponginess and frosting-topped goodness of cake? Or will you side with those flaky crust-adoring, fruit-filling fanatics of the pie nation? You must choose one -- and only one! No trying to suggest that Boston Creme Pie is really kind of like a cake, or how cheesecake is actually not unlike a pie. Take a stand! Be true to your pastry orientation!

Ugh! This is difficult for me!  I can't a stand! In fact, if you had both of these on a plate in front of me I don't think I could make a decision. I'd probably want both or nothing! Ha! My favorites are Portillo's Famous Chocolate Cake & TGI Friday's Vanilla Bean Cheesecake! I would say equally so! 

   

Our family even gets the chocolate cake for our birthday cakes! :-) This has been for many years now! Now the Vanilla Bean Cheesecake I just tried I think last summer. I don't like Vanilla Bean ice cream so I wasn't sure when I ordered it. OMG! I could not talk...which if you know me at all is quite an accomplishment! It is...well I can't say but needless to say it is quite a wonderful feeling/taste & could be a very hard addiction to break! In fact I would rather have that addiction than smoke! HA! Now, in case you are wondering I have been very good! I have only had it twice in the year I've know about it & considering there is a Fridays about 3 min from me that is quite something!


Extra Credit: Having chosen cake or pie, now admit your favorite variety of the dessert you did not choose. So if you chose cake, tell us your favorite pie. Prefer pie? Tell us your favorite cake.

Well this is difficult since I couldn't decide! I guess it would be which ever I didn't just have! Ha! You know what is with deciding? Why do you have to? It is like deciding which person you love the most...that shouldn't be even asked of you! :-) You can love them just as much but just differently! :-) I suppose if I just had the chocolate cake I might say the cheesecake because I'd want that now & vice versa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Deborah,
Gee... I wish I could eat at your parent's house, for their baking has given you a good taste!love,nat

Anonymous said...

My parents don't bake that much really...can't explain why I love those two!