Monday, May 23, 2005

That Little Voice (Critic)


I received these in my email today! Quite thought-provoking!

What inspires you?

“It is never about how good your voice is; it is only about feeling the urge to sing, and then having the courage to do it with the voice you are given.”

-- Katie in ‘True to Form’ by Elizabeth Berg

How often have you allowed fear and your inner critic to stop you from doing something you were inspired to do?

"Life is either a grand adventure or nothing.” When we allow fear and criticism to stop us in our tracks, we give up that grand adventure. What a waste! Helen Keller

“Be an all-out, not a hold-out.”

-- Norman Vincent Peale

It is amazing how much that inner critic voice wants to be heard! It always amazes me when this "inner critic" begins to speak! I have discussed with others how little kids don't seem to have this! You know when they are starting to crawl or walk they don't say "what if I fall & hurt myself?", "what if people laugh at me?", "what will others think of me?"...all those "what ifs!

Kids are so great to observe! You can learn so much from them. Things we have forgotten. What is the saying, "youth is wasted on the young"! I agree! Now the test is do we take what we hopefully learn from childhood & keep with with us in adulthood. It is like the book "
All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten", by Robert Fulghum - http://www.robertfulghum.com/ - but how many really do take those lessons and use them? I know I'm guilty of not using them. Maybe this is why God has us have kids around, whether it is our own, nieces & nephews, grandchildren, or just being in the mall! To observe them & possible modify our behavior around them as a reminder that we should behave that way all the time!

It is funny, when we are a kid we can't wait to grow up & when we are "grown ups" we want to be a kid! Life is just one joke after another isn't it! Thereis a song by Depeche Mode called "Blasphemous Rumors" and the refrain is:

I don’t want to start any blasphemous rumours
But I think that god’s got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find him laughing

I think God is laughing sometimes! Ha! Maybe he (or as someone once told me "she") is laughing just at me! Probably one of those head shaking laughs!  

No comments: